How To Process Late Birth Registration In The Philippines

One of the most essential documents a Filipino must have is his birth certificate.  Not only is this meant to determine one's identity but this is also a critical requirement when a person starts schooling, applies for a job, gets other IDS, passports, and licenses.  Unfortunately, many people in the Philippines don't have one yet.  Instances are when they request at the Philippines Statistics Authority (PSA) for their birth certificate, they'll find out that they were never registered.

Good thing, it's not an all or nothing.  One can file for late birth registration.  In this guide, we're going to go over the steps on how you can secure your birth certificate and have yourself registered officially in the PSA.

Visit your local civil registry.

The first thing that you have to do is confirm that there is no existing record of the child’s birth.  Visit your local civil registry.  There are instances when the local civil registry has the child’s birth certificate but has not yet forwarded it to the PSA.  If this is the case, all you need to do is file a formal request for the document to be forwarded to the PSA office.  But if it was confirmed that your child has no records with the local civil registry, then you proceed with applying one.

Verify with the PSA if your child has an existing record.

Visit any PSA office near you.  You may find the complete list of branches through this link:  If it has been verified that your child has no current records in the PSA database, you will be issued a Negative Intent or Negative Results Certification (NRC) which you will use to apply for your child’s birth certificate.

Prepare the needed documents.

Here are the documents you need to secure for late registration of your child's birth certificate:

  • Negative Results Certification or NRC
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • Marriage Contract of the parents (if married) or acknowledgment of the biological father and a copy of his Community Tax Certificate (CTC), if not married
  • 4 copies of the Certificate of Live Birth carrying the signature of your physician, doula, or midwife
  • Affidavit of late registration accomplished by the child's father, mother, or guardians, explaining the reason why the birth was not declared within 30 days
  • Affidavit of 2 witnesses who were there at the child's birth
  • Your most current Community Tax Certificate
  • Three documents that prove the validity of the full name, date of birth, and birthplace of the child

In addition to that, you may also need to prepare these supplementary documents such as the child’s school records, parents’ income tax return, insurance policies, medical records, and barangay captain’s certification. Kindly bring the child’s valid IDs which indicates her full name and birthday, if any. Note that the birth date in the ID must match the birth date in the birth certificate; otherwise, your application will not be processed.

Submit the documents at the local civil registry that has jurisdiction over your child’s place of birth.

Assessment and processing may take an average of 5 working days. After having done this, you can already pick up your child’s birth certificate. If the child’s place of birth is too far from your current location, you may go to the civil registry closest to you and request them to endorse the documents to the civil registry at your child’s place of birth. Expect that you will be charged with an endorsement fee to process this request.

Late registration of birth certificate for Filipinos born in a foreign country

If your child was born outside the Philippines, you will have to apply for a Philippine-issued birth certificate personally at the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) office.

You should prepare the necessary documents:

  • 5 accomplished and notarized forms of Report of Baby
  • authenticated foreign birth certificate translated into English (if necessary)
  • passport or travel documents
  • report of the marriage of parents (if married), or affidavit of use of father’s name (AUSF) if not married
  • passports of the applicant’s parents.

Also, you need to bring with you 5 recent passport-sized photos of the child, a DFA-authenticated Birth Certificate of both of the applicant’s parents, and an affidavit of delayed registration for registrants above one year. Fees and charges apply but shall be dependent on the local civil registry.

After the submission of these requirements, they will be evaluated. This is to determine if your child is qualified for the issuance of a Philippine Birth Certificate, or if you need to submit further proof.

Whether you are based in the Philippines or living in a foreign country, you just have to present documents that will solidly prove your child’s identity and date of birth. In this way, you will be able to apply for a birth certificate and enjoy the same benefits Filipino citizens have.

Last edited: 10/19/2020

You might also like